“And then yesterday he was given his visa. But to travel halfway around the world to arrive on the night before his event at a meet like this, he obviously did not come.”Jordan said Prefontaine officials would attempt to seek clarification from US Immigration and Customs Enforcement in order to avoid a repeat in future.“Certainly we want to do something afterwards to find out what the heck is going on,” he said.“These are some of the greatest athletes in the world. It’s not like they haven’t applied for a visa before or they haven’t been to the United States.”Britain’s Oregon-based four-time Olympic champion distance runner Mo Farah, who has been a trenchant critic of Trump’s immigration crackdown, said he had noticed changes when passing through US customs.Farah said his training partner, Belgium’s Somalia-born Abdi Bashir who competes in the 5,000m in Eugene, had been subjected to greater scrutiny after arriving in the United States.“Abdi had difficulty getting through,” Farah said. “Normally he goes straight through but he got taken away for interviews. It’s a lot harder.” Britain’s Mo Farah (R) shakes hands with Uganda’s Joshua Kiprui Cheptegei after they competed in the Men’s 5000m at the Rio Olympics last year. The two are scheduled to run in Eugene Saturday night in an event that has been marred by denial of visas to some athletes, especially from Africa.Eugene, United States | AFP | Russian hurdler Sergey Shubenkov is among around 10 athletes who have been prevented from competing in this weekend’s Prefontaine Classic Diamond League meeting because of visa problems, race officials said Friday.Tom Jordan, director of the prestigious two-day meeting at Eugene, said 2015 110m hurdles world champion Shubenkov and other athletes, mostly from Africa, had not been granted visas in time to compete in Oregon.“After many years of not having any problems with visas we had at least 10 athletes who were either turned down or delayed in their visa approval,” Jordan told reporters.The visa glitches come as the administration of US President Donald Trump is engaged in a sweeping immigration crackdown. Jordan however declined to say whether he believed the visa problems were directly linked to the Trump administration’s policies.None of the athletes who have encountered problems were from the countries included in Trump’s controversial travel ban which targets nationals from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.“No one on the meet is on the travel ban,” Jordan said. “That’s not the reason. It’s not a direct Trump thing. But there is something going on.”Jordan said Shubenkov — who has returned to competition this season after being sidelined by Russia’s ban from athletics last year — had eventually been granted a visa, but only at the 11th hour.“He was initially told that his visa application would be reviewed — in June,” Jordan said. “So we replaced him. Share on: WhatsApp
Daniel and his team!Daniel O’Donnell and family have scooped £30,000 for their chosen charity after starring in a brand new series of ‘All Star Family Fortunes’ exclusively on TV3.The King of country music was joined by wife Majella, niece Trisha, step-son Michael and step-daughter Siobhan as they took on daredevil television presenter Helen Skelton and her family.Tens of thousands of pounds were up for grabs but only one family could make it through to play the Big Money final, worth a whopping £30,000. Daniel and family were playing for a charity that is very close to their hearts. ‘Donegal Mind Wellness’ was set up last year with the help of Majella. It’s a charity that helps people with depression.Before the competition got underway, viewers were invited into Daniel’s home where his family gave an insight into his wardrobe and revealed how Daniel loves to keep his hair “pristine”.The Skelton’s got off to a good start but it was the O’Donnell’s who were firing on all cylinders. After making it through to the big money final, Daniel chose wife Majella to join him in answering the five final questions.Daniel and Majella scored five top answers winning the grand prize of £30,000 for their charity. Speaking to host Vernon after winning the lot, Daniel said: “It’s for ‘Donegal Mind Wellness’. It helps people with depression. Majella help set it up. It’s just going to be such a wonderful amount of money to help people. It’s tremendous. Thank you so much.” DANIEL SCOOPS A ‘FAMILY FORTUNE’ OF €40,000 FOR DONEGAL MIND WELLNESS was last modified: February 2nd, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:cashdaniel o’donnellFamily fortunesTV show
The Warriors finished with a 112-103 victory over the New Orleans Pelicans on … NEW ORLEANS –– The NBA soap opera continued.Teams fought for playoff positioning. Dwyane Wade and Dirk Nowitzki had farewell games. And Magic Johnson stepped down as the Lakers’ president of basketball operations.Meanwhile, the Warriors wrestled with the ultimate first-world problem. How do they handle a meaningless regular-season game after already locking up the No. 1 seed in the Western Conference?
MOST READ Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president Interestingly, the 28-year-old Standhardinger makes his ABL debut against Alab Pilipinas on Nov. 19 at Mall of Asia Arena. Sangley airport to be operational in 7 days – Tugade PLAY LIST 01:18Sangley airport to be operational in 7 days – Tugade01:10Hong Kong’s leader rejects ‘police state’ label01:44Opposition heckles lead Hong Kong leader to abandon policy speech01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Read Next ‘Mini Jalalon’ continues to impress for the Chiefs in crucial stretch LATEST STORIES Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight Christian Standhardinger. Photo from Fiba.comMike Heung, vice director of the Hong Kong Eastern Long Lions, shrugged off any concerns with the status of Christian Standhardinger on the team ahead of the new ABL season.A conflict looms following the application of Standhardinger for the 2017 PBA Draft but Heung is certain that the Fil-German big man will be with the Long Lions throughout the season.ADVERTISEMENT “He signed a contract with our team and the contract he signed is for him to complete the ABL season, this season,” said Heung. “So I think a contract is a contract and he will play for us. He will play this season for us.”The 6-foot-7 Standhardinger is the consensus top pick in the draft set on Oct. 29 despite him likely to miss the 2018 Philippine Cup due to his commitments with Hong Kong.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutHeung said the addition of Standhardinger, who proved his worth in the international scene for Gilas Pilipinas in the 2017 Jones Cup, Fiba Asia Cup in Lebanon and Southeast Asian Games in Malaysia, gives the Long Lions a defensive anchor.“He’s a very good player and he can help our team a lot especially defensively.” Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary View comments
Cardiff boss Warnock explains dropping Sala pursuitby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveCardiff City boss Neil Warnock admits a deal for Nantes striker Emiliano Sala is off.Warnock concedes the Nantes asking price for Sala is too rich for such a gamble.He explained, “We made an offer that was rejected and we have not returned since. “We do not have a gun pointed at us. Sala is a good player, but there is no guarantee that he will land and break everything in the Premier League.”The problem for Nantes is any sale for Sala will see 50 per cent of his fee going to former club Bordeaux. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Newcastle boss Benitez under consideration at Leicesterby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveNewcastle United boss Rafa Benitez is under consideration at Leicester City.The Mirror says Claude Puel bought himself time at the King Power Stadium with successive surprise wins over high-flying Chelsea and champions Manchester City. But their shortcomings were exposed on Saturday by Cardiff City, who recorded their first away win all season.The club’s Thai owner, Top Srivaddhanaprabha, is known to be an admirer of Rafa Benitez — whose hopes of a takeover at current club Newcastle that could inject fresh January transfer funds are fading.It means Puel is back on a tightrope at Leicester, where he has never fully won over fans despite leading the club to ninth last term.Questions about his man-management, motivational skills and tactics persist — and he appears to have a fractured relationship with star striker Jamie Vardy. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
A special and well-received highlight of the service was the recitation of the National Pledge and the singing of the National Song, Jamaica Land of Beauty, by 55 third generation children ranging from three to 14 years. Story Highlights Hundreds of Jamaicans and friends of Jamaica gathered at the Methodist Central Hall in Westminster, London, on July 29 for the Jamaica55 Independence Service of Praise and Thanksgiving, hosted by the Jamaican High Commission. Hundreds of Jamaicans and friends of Jamaica gathered at the Methodist Central Hall in Westminster, London, on July 29 for the Jamaica55 Independence Service of Praise and Thanksgiving, hosted by the Jamaican High Commission.In a special message, read by High Commissioner, His Excellency Seth George Ramocan, Prime Minister the Most Hon. Andrew Holness said the 55th anniversary is an opportunity to reflect on the country’s journey over the years and the important contribution of Jamaicans at home and in the Diaspora to the development of the country.“This year, as Jamaica celebrates its milestone 55th anniversary of political Independence, under the theme, ‘Celebrating Jamaicans at Home and Abroad’, it provides us with an opportunity to reflect, as a nation, on our progressive journey over the years, our vision for the years ahead and the important contributions of our people both here at home and in the Diaspora to the development of our beloved island home,” he said.He highlighted that Jamaica has been a powerhouse on the international scene and trailblazer in almost every field, producing internationally recognised Jamaicans in many areas, including music, sports, medicine, culture and academia.He also noted that despite the many challenges over the years, Jamaica has made significant social and economic progress and is now pursuing strategic economic policies to firmly place it on a path of sustainable growth and development.The Prime Minister also conveyed appreciation for the invaluable contribution of the Jamaican Diaspora to the development of the United Kingdom and in raising Jamaica’s profile overseas.In his sermon, Bishop Llewellyn Graham of the Church of God of Prophesy said that Jamaica is well known for many things, including having the fastest man and the oldest person on earth.He also noted that while Jamaica has made much progress since Independence and has produced many outstanding and renowned citizens, there are still challenges to overcome.The service featured a Dance of Praise, readings from the Deputy Lord Mayor of Westminster, Councillor Jan Prendergast, and Commonwealth Scholar, Mr. Gordon Brown.The National Prayer of Thanksgiving was led by Danicka Reid, Miss Jamaica UK 2017, and Mr. Andre Coore, Chevening Scholar. Opera Singer Olive Murray delivered an inspiring rendition, while actress Dona Croll performed Louise “Miss Lou” Bennett’s Jamaica Elevate.A special and well-received highlight of the service was the recitation of the National Pledge and the singing of the National Song, Jamaica Land of Beauty, by 55 third generation children ranging from three to 14 years. In a special message, read by High Commissioner, His Excellency Seth George Ramocan, Prime Minister the Most Hon. Andrew Holness said the 55th anniversary is an opportunity to reflect on the country’s journey over the years and the important contribution of Jamaicans at home and in the Diaspora to the development of the country.
HARTFORD, Conn. — A Connecticut businessman who prosecutors say led the IRS on a “wild goose chase” by avoiding paying more than $4.8 million in federal income taxes has been sentenced.Federal prosecutors say 58-year-old David Adams was sentenced to 7 1/2 years in prison Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Hartford.The Old Saybrook man pleaded guilty last year to multiple offences including tax evasion and making and subscribing a false tax return.Prosecutors say Adams engaged the IRS in the decades-long chase to avoid paying taxes as far back as the 1980s.Officials say Adams hid $4.7 million in profits after selling his stake in an online floral business in 2011. Prosecutors say Adams lied to IRS officers and filed fraudulent returns.Adams has been ordered to pay back taxes including interest and penalties.The Associated Press
Banging up to the date, Liverpool’s stalemate in the Merseyside derby threw the title race wide open, enabling rivals Manchester City to leapfrog into the top spot with a slender one point lead. Now, with only nine games to spare, it promises a leviathan of battle between the two hotshots right down to the wire as they hunt for the precious prize. Manchester City The premier league centurions bested every team last season as they pumped in 106 goals to reel in the title. Come the face-off at Etihad against the Reds, the Cityzens were out on the pitch like passionate dogs in heat, managing to chew off three points by bagging a 2-1 victory. By doing so, they also punched a hole in Liverpool’s confidence as Klopp’s side evidently dipped in form, paving way for the ‘sky blues’ to catch up and soon overtake. Since then, the club has registered consistent victories as Liverpool continued to blow the lead away. Managed by Pep Guardiola, the noisy neighbours sit atop table with a point more than the Reds, as of now, and have to play Spurs at home before they visit their crosstown rivals Manchester United for another cracking game. And, not to forget, the renowned fixtures at this point of the season could very well decide the tilt of the title. Going into the last few games, City will remember the three titles they have won since the outset of this decade or so. Interestingly, two of them were attained when they were running hot on the leaders’ heel, ultimately being handed the crown on the final day of the season. This apparently reflects the much required steely nerves and unwavering belief to pull off such a showstopper, not once but twice. Given the hectic schedule that screams a flurry of matches as the season advances to its end, Pep’s players will need the same grits more than ever to retain the title – a fascinating feat that has not been achieved by any of the defending champions since 2009. Also Read – Dhoni, Paes spotted playing football togetherLiverpool The pressure is mounting on Liverpool as they look to end their 29-year wait for the Premier League crown. Having played some sublime football over the course of the season, the Reds have lost only once but have played seven draws that have ultimately dethroned them as table-toppers. Eventually, there’s some tension in and around Anfield regarding the title credentials as only nine games remain. A team that depends heavily on its attacking trio comprising of Salah, Firmino and Mane has been misfiring for a while now. As seen against Everton and in the past few games, the Reds have not been as prolific in front of the goal and the struggle to find the net has been more conspicuous than ever. Manchester City, on the other hand, has abounding firepower, in terms of not only its attackers but also a midfield that steps up whenever needed – something that is Liverpool’s need of the hour. In the coming days, Anfield will bear witness to two fixtures against the ‘top six’ i.e., against Chelsea and Spurs. Given the Premier League’s unpredictability, the men in red may find their coveted prize after a long wait – though Cityzens are unlikely to ever be too far behind.
Colombo: A string of eight devastating blasts, including suicide attacks, struck churches and luxury hotels frequented by foreigners in Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday, killing 215 people, including four Indians, and shattering a decade of peace in the island nation since the end of the brutal civil war with the LTTE. The blasts — one of the deadliest attacks in the country’s history —targeted St Anthony’s Church in Colombo, St Sebastian’s Church in the western coastal town of Negombo and Zion Church in the eastern town of Batticaloa around 8.45 a.m. (local time) as the Easter Sunday mass were in progress, police spokesman Ruwan Gunasekera said. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss bank a/c detailsExplosions were reported from three five-star hotels — the Shangri-La, the Cinnamon Grand and the Kingsbury in Colombo. The News 1st channel said that 215 people have died in the blasts. Chairman of Sri Lanka Tourism Kishu Gomes said 33 foreign nationals have been killed in the coordinated attacks believed to be carried out by a single group. Director of the National Hospital Dr Anil Jasinghe identified 12 of the 33 foreign nationals, which include three Indians, two Chinese and one each from Poland, Denmark, Japan, Pakistan, America, Morocco and Bangladesh. External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj, in a series of tweets, identified the three Indians as Lakshmi, Narayan Chandrashekhar and Ramesh. “Indian High Commission in Colombo has conveyed that National Hospital has informed them about the death of three Indian nationals,” she said in a tweet. Also Read – Tourists to be allowed in J&K from ThursdayAround 500 people, including Indians, were injured in the attacks. No group has claimed responsibility for Sunday’s attacks. However, most of the deadly attacks in the past in Sri Lanka were carried out by the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) which ran a military campaign for a separate Tamil homeland in the northern and eastern provinces of the island nation for nearly 30 years before its collapse in 2009 after the Sri Lankan Army killed its supreme leader Velupillai Prabhakaran. Gunasekera said the police was not able to confirm at the moment if they were all suicide attacks. He, however, said that one of the blasts at the Katuwapitiya (Negombo) church has signs of being what looked like a suicide attack. An unnamed official said a suicide bomber blew himself up at the restaurant of the Cinnamon Grand hotel.